In This Edition:
- Three $150 scholarships available for the 2013 All America Laughter Yoga Conference
- Upcoming life-changing trainings
- Of interest in our online store
there is a saying is French that says “happy people have no history.” I am not quite sure about that.
The people I meet who are truly shining from the inside out have all faced major – sometimes very traumatic – adversity and greatly suffered. They each had to face the darkest night of their soul.
Why didn’t they die? What is it they did to be reborn out of their own ashes?
Each is a sample of one and I am not trying to draw general conclusions here, but I still observe that all have one thing in common: laughter marked a turning point in their lives. The methods they used are varied: Norman Cousins inspired many to seek humor everywhere starting in the 1960s with his miraculous recovery from a life threatening condition listening to jokes and watching funny movies (see the movie “Anatomy of an illness” for free online); the clown-doctor Patch Adams was so sad as a youth that he tried to kill himself three times before he realized that he could infuse his life with love and meaning through clowning and laughing with others (watch his TEDx testimonials). His example inspired the creation of thousand of hospital clowns groups starting in the 1970s who have since worked with 100,000s of patients. Closer to us is the worldwide Laughter Yoga phenomenon and its associated many thousands of social Laughter Clubs (find a Laughter Club near you) where people get together just to laugh, because they can, without using jokes or comedy. Of all approaches to laughter, Laughter Yoga has been so far the most succesfull because it was the first to democratize the use of laughter by turning it into a form of exercise (learn more). Laughter Wellness is now carrying the torch even further.
Because there is no historical and therefore no cultural context on a big enough scale for adults choosing to be happy and joy-filled in our society, this type of behavior is often perceived as either bizarre, funny, or silly. It is accepted as a form of entertainment but no more.
If that’s your opinion you just don’t know what you’re missing. Laughing is indeed entertaining, but that’s a free bonus. This is not why you should do it. It heals. It empowers. It connects (watch this 2 minutes videos of one man laughing at a tram stop). Each time you laugh you create a tsunami of happy and healing chemicals that you want, need, but could not pay for (assuming we knew how to manufacture them, which we still don’t.) There is more: choose to laugh as often and as much as you want. It will force you to choose to live and reframe the question “why is this happnening to me?” into “why is this happening for me?”
You don’t need to be happy or have a reason. Laughing “with” is not the same thing as laughing at; accepting your vulnerabilities is not a sign of weakness, but rather one of power because it gives you control over your fears and teaches equanimity wrapped in compassion.
Someone explained to me recently that our happiness setpoint is 50% genetic (that part can’t be changed), 10% circumstances and 40% intentional activities (the outcome of what you do on a regular basis).
You can lift that level up by practicing new habits.
There is hope. You can change. Here is how:
- Put laughter to the test, now
- Join or start a Laughter Club
- It’s only once per year and it’s happening soon: participate in the 2013 All American Laughter Yoga Conference (Vancouver, BC, 8/22-25). Above and beyond the education and the networking, this is where you will meet walking miracles, litterally. This conference will be streamed and available online for a small fee. Read more and sign up.
- Laughter Coaching has arrived! The American School Of Laughter Yoga now proudly offers one-on-one phone (or video-conferencing) laughter sessions that are tailored to your specific needs and will leave you feeling much better within 45 minutes. Every member of our team of professional Laughter Coaches has a PHD (Predominantly Humorous Disposition). They will help you unblock your clown chakra and boost the level of your humorglobins, guaranteed!
May July see you thrive!
July 14th, 2013
Three $150 Scholarships Available For The 2013 All America Laughter Yoga Conference, Vancouver, BC, 8/22-25
Thanks to generous donors and the American School of Laughter Yoga’s own commitment to match all donations received we currently have 3 financial scholarships of $150 each available as a discount towards the registration to the 2013 All America Laughter Yoga conference that is happening in Vancouver, BC, next month. Read more about this event at http://2013.laughteryogaamerica.com
To benefit, sign up for this conference and enter the discount code SCHOLARSHIP-150 (it is case sensitive) in the indicated box below your conference selection (valid for the main 3 day events only).
Contact us for more information. These scholarships are available on a first come first served basis.
We look forward to sharing and laughing with you in Vancouver!
- Mont Saint Michel, France: 07/27-28
- Munich, Germany: 08/03-04
- Limerick, Ireland: 08/10-11
- Vancouver, BC: 08/21-22
- … and more programs throughout the fall
- Mont St Michel, France: July 22-28
- Vancouver, BC, Canada: August 17-22
- Sydney, Australia: October 14-18
- Pasadena, CA, USA: December 10-15
- Vancouver, BC, Canada: August 26-27
Online: open 24/7/365
Can’t come to a training? Then the Laughter Online University is for you. Get a a solid, reliable and up-to-date laughter education (and continuing education!) that’s peer-reviewed and validated.
- Chair Laughter Yoga video serie
- 65 Foundational Laughter Yoga Exercises
- Run-Through Laughter Yoga Session SITTING (see how it’s done)
- Run-Through Laughter Yoga Session STANDING (see how it’s done)
New this month
- Laughter Yoga for people with developmental, physical and/or cognitive disabilities
- Special report: How to create and maintain a daily laughing alone practice
Do you need Laughter-Yoga related t-shirts, iphone covers, bags or other home accessories that come with a 30 day money back guarantee? If so then this will be of interest to you.